Merri-bek City Council has established Governance Rules in accordance with section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020.
The Governance Rules were adopted by resolution of Council on 12 August 2020 to commence on 1 September 2020. They were most recently revised by Council on 10 August 2022.
You can read our Governance Rules (PDF) to find out more.
The Governance Rules determine the way in which Council will:
- Make decisions in the best interest of the Merri-bek community, fairly and on the merits of the question and in a way that ensures any person whose rights will be directly affected by a decision will be entitled to communicate their views and have their interests considered;
- Elect its Mayor and Deputy Mayor;
- Conduct meetings of Council and Delegated Committees;
- Give notice of meetings and record and make available meeting records (minutes and livestreamed meetings);
- Be informed in its decision-making through community engagement, advisory committees, councillor areas of responsibility, and council officer reports;
- Require the disclosure and management of conflicts of interest.
The Governance Rules also include:
- Rules for the conduct of Council and Councillors during Election Periods, through the Election Period Policy;
- An overview of alignment of the Governance Rules within Council’s democratic and corporate governance; and
- Provisions for use of the Common Seal.