Most business owners will benefit professionally and personally from having a trusted business mentor.
Mentoring is available through:
- Business recovery and resilience mentoring is provided by the Victorian Government and is available to small businesses with less than 20 employees. You may be eligible for up to 4 x 2 hour one-to-one mentoring sessions. This program runs to 1 December 2021.
- The Small Business Mentoring Service allows you to choose from a selection of mentors based on location, their experience and the area of business you would like advice and assistance on. Please note a cost applies for this service.
- The Melbourne Innovation Centre provides access to subsidised mentoring for business leaders to develop their digital skills and the businesses digital capability.
Training and development opportunities
There are a range of opportunities for business owners, leaders and staff to access online and face-to-face workshops. You will find workshops and information sessions that are relevant to the different stages of your business and personal development journey.
Workshops and information sessions can:
- develop your knowledge of business essentials
- help to identify new revenue streams
- improve your business digital capabilities
- assist with business reporting and compliance
- provide advice on your business model and structure
- help you to plan your business growth
- develop your leadership and business skills and confidence
- develop and train your staff
- provide networking opportunities
Find an event, workshop or initiative
Council's Business Merri-bek provides a range of events, workshops, information sessions and networking opportunities to help grow your business and develop your leadership skills.
The Australian Government business website has a tool that allows you to search for training workshops and events based on your location and the skill or information you are seeking.
The Australian Government also delivers the Entrepreneurs Programme which assists businesses with a turnover between $1.5m and $100m to plan and deliver business growth.
The program offers:
- experienced business advisors to work with your business to identify knowledge gaps that are preventing your business growth. The outcome is an Innovation Facilitation Report
- help to commercialise novel products, services and processes
- access to a business adviser to improve your business practices, competitiveness, and take advantage of growth and collaboration opportunities.
The Victorian Government's business website includes a calendar of workshops and mentoring opportunities. You can search within a date range, by location, by topic and the event features.
Family Business Australia
Having a family business adds a level of complexity that other businesses don't face. Family Business Australia (FBA) provides professional development, professional peer forums, Family Business Advisors, events and a family business network. Please note there is a membership fee to join FBA.
Victorian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VECCI)
VECCI is the largest and business organisation in Victoria, informing and servicing more than 47,000 members, customers and clients across the state. VECCI provides advice on business services (HR and workplace and relations, Health and Safety and Wellbeing, a calendar of events and professional development opportunities. Please note there is a membership fee to join VECCI.
- Startup Victoria
- Australian Taxation Office Recorded Webinars
- Australian Taxation Office Small Business Webinars
- LaunchVic Events Calendar and Past Online Events
- Melbourne Innovation Centre Recorded Webinars
- Melbourne Innovation Centre - Webinars
- Dept of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources